Letters to Lillian

Letters to Lillian
First it was two,
then we had you.
Now we have everything.

Letters to Lilly,
our daughter through adoption.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Water is patient. Dripping water wears away a stone. Remember that, my child. Remember you are half water. If you can't go through an obstacle, go around it. Water does.

Image

Little one, I'm having difficulty lately. I'm trying so hard to be patient, but patience is still alluding me and I can't seem to pinpoint the cause. We've only just begun this journey in January, we've only started the homestudy process in March, but I'm feeling incredibly antsy lately.This is not good, considering we could have months or years of road beyond us until we reach you.

Mothers Day was actually really nice this year. I even received pre-Mothers Day gifts from my Mom and Sister, and they are gorgeous and made me bawl. Here is what they look like: Image

Grandma made you a binky blanket with owls that is so soft that you Dad and I want to cuddle up in it and nap until you get here. Your Aunt made you a sign we're going to hang in your room that says, "Little One, You Grew in Our Hearts." It couldn't be more true.

It was the first Mothers Day in five years that I wasn't depressed. I have hope now, Lo. It's amazing.

 

Other than Mothers Day, I've been incredibly busy with work lately, so I've had little time to write. That doesn't mean that you don't weigh heavy on my mind every moment of every day. I'm in a coffee shop and the barista is pregnant. I want so badly to ask her if she knows anyone who is looking to make an adoption plan, but I know it could end up coming off as rude and hurtful so I bite my tongue and order my coffee, sans small talk. But she's pregnant, so she must know other pregnant mothers...what if this was our one shot, and my Miss Manners mindset blew it?

Sometimes, I feel like I want to be your mother so badly that my skin crawls with anticipation. I get so jittery at the very thought if it that I want to leap out of my body and find a way to fast forward time like some magical plot in a sci-fi movie.

Unfortunately, life doesn't work like that, and I need to practice patience.

I'm not good with patience, Lo. I hate to admit that, and I hope you don't get that quality from me. I wish I were patient, and I try my best, but some days are a lot harder than others. Lately I'm having more hard days than easy. Who knows how long this process will take? Some couples take years, others weeks. We have no crystal ball, no way of knowing what the future will hold for us or how long it will take. In a way, that is a beautiful thing. How often does life get to surprise you with something amazing, something out of left field? It's a rare time in our lives that we should be treasuring, not frittering away with worries and tapping our feet while staring down the clock.

 

Of course, that is much easier said than done.

To be completely candid with you Lo, I've always been impatient with exciting things. I remember one year my sister tested this theory. It was my eleventh birthday, and she got me a Will Smith CD (yes, I can already imagine your eyes rolling. At the time, it was an awesome CD. Big Willie Style defined my eleventh year on this planet. Oh my goodness, just writing that sentence made me cringe.I promise not to hold your pre-teen music choices accountable when you're an adult...because I'm sure there will be some winners there too). So it was in a CD case (which, considering the way technology is going- I will reference for you since I doubt they'll be around much longer in the future. A CD case is 5.5 inches by 5.75 inches- thanks to Google for that answer. I'm sure Google will still be kicking in the future, so I won't explain that one)... back to the story, she put the CD case inside of about ten boxes, all larger in size- all stuffed into a giant box leftover from a newly purchase recliner.

It took me a solid hour and a half to get to Big Willie Style, and she thought it was hysterical. Looking back, it was- but at the time, I just wanted to hear Mr. Smith serenade me about biting on cigars but not lighting them.

I never let your Dad surprise me. Every anniversary, birthday and Christmas he tries so hard to keep presents a secret, but I always figure them out. I'm probably the worst person to surprise, because when I hear there is something exciting coming I turn into a private investigator so skilled that the FBI could recruit me to learn my tactics.

So you can see how this process would be the ultimate test of patience for me. You are no CD or Christmas present. You're no birthday surprise party or hidden wedding shower. You're the greatest thing that will ever happen to us, and I've never been this anxious about anything in my entire life.

We keep hearing about situations from those around us, and yet none have resulted in you being here. It's difficult to hear, "Well I might know someone..." and getting nowhere with a promising lead. It's going to happen though, and it's a good thing that it is happening because it shows that the word is getting out and we will eventually make the match that leads us to you. But it makes it incredibly hard to remain hopeful and patient, and unfortunately the closer June gets the harder it's becoming for me. I'm trying to not let it, I'm working extremely hard to stay positive, hopeful and faithful. But it's the hardest thing I've ever done, Little One.

But it will be so incredibly worth it. And I promise I will never expose you to Will Smith's attempt at music. That's a promise. 

 

Patiently Gettin' Jiggy With It,

Love,

Mom

 

1 comment:

  1. Ey! Our music selctions werent too terrible (or maybe they were)...I think LO will like laughing at our terrible music choices...Aunt Heather will make him/her listen to all our past music bloopers...thats my job. :) Cant wait!

    ReplyDelete